Chúc Mừng Năm Mới - (Greet New Year to You)
Thursday, February 7: Ava dressed in her red silk outfit for her day care class. It fit better this year than last year, but it is still big. I created a painting exercise for the kids in her class which included teaching the children the legend behind using Hoa Mai as part of the Tet celbration. We saw Hoa Mai for sale everywhere when we were in Hanoi last year. I provided a print out of the websites below for the teachers. If you are interested in learning more, please check out these websites - www.geocities.com/nha1975/12congiap.htm or www.fcvn.org/tet.htm . One of my students brought in bean cake from Vietnam for us to give to Ava.

Friday, February 8, 2008: Tonight we met several families who have adopted or plan to adopt from Vietnam and some Vietnamese students from our local colleges. The little girl in the picture with Ava was adopted from Vietnam a few months before Ava. I spoke online with her mom before we left for Vietnam. In addition to adopting a beautiful little girl we have made some wonderful new life-long friends through the adoption process. We personally have met or have spoken with over 20 families who have adopted from Vietnam and live less than four hours away from our home. I think that is pretty cool - hopefully Ava will get to know some of the kids as she grows older.




Saturday, Febraury 9, 2008: It is Saturday and we celebrated Tet with family and friends. Tet is a very family oriented celebration. Grandma B came into town and we met family at Kurt's great grandmother's. Ava and I also went to visit our friends at the local nail salon. The people that work at the salon are from Vietnam and they have been very helpful and supportive as Kurt and I prepared to go to Vietnam and since we have returned. A month ago they specifically asked for us to stop in today. They gave Ava "lucky money" and lots of hugs. Here are four generations of Kurt's family.

No comments:
Post a Comment