It has been a few days since my last post. This is because of a couple of reasons. First, when Ava has fallen asleep, I have not been far behind and it is to hard to sit down and do this when she is awake. I also kept procrastinating because I wanted to add pictures but decided I better sit down and write before another day gets behind me. Today is the first night since returning home (10 nights ago) that I felt like my old-self again at 6:15 a.m. this morning and 9:30 p.m. tonight.
Tuesday (2/6), was a good day. Ava slept the night before from 6 p.m until 4 a.m. She settled down a few hours later for a one hour nap. After a fun morning of eating, playing, bathing, and napping we dressed Ava in a very cute outfit we received from Marcia at IC and took her to meet my work colleagues at IC. Then we went to the hospital for the blood work that was not able to be completed the day earlier. Two pediatric nurses later we had a successful blood draw. The hospital staff was very comforting to Ava & us once they determined the best location to prick. It took a little while to come up with the best location but they only pricked once and it worked. NY tests babies for all kinds of stuff when they first enter the country, some people may consider it excessive - I think that as hard as it was to hear her cry, it is more comforting to know she has been tested for several things that could be concerning if not known. She seemed in such good spirits on the way home from the hospital that we stopped at SUNY C to visit with several of our friends that work there. The good thing is that many of the people we hoped to see were in their offices when we stopped in and Ava was once again the beautiful little girl they have been hearing about. The cool thing that she did today was to keep on smiling after meeting so many people and having her blood drawn.
People may question our decision to introduce Ava to so many people so soon. One thing that we have learned about Ava is that she loves the stimulus of big smiles and happy voices. At this moment she is not experiencing any stranger anxiety what so ever. While in Vietnam we learned that the streets of Vietnam are anything but quiet. If you remember reading earlier in the blog, I was intimidated by the activity and noise. When we were outside walking the streets of the French Quarter in Vietnam Ava was at her happiest - listening to the noise, responding to people, and looking at all the beautiful colors. For now anyway, Ava is happy meeting our friends and family at a much faster pace than we imagined before meeting her ourselves.
Based on our pediatrician's recommendation and that of others about adjusting baby sleep schedules, we decided to try giving Ava rice cereal. We were prepared for quite an event. But, much to our surprise, she opened her mouth like a little bird and ate off the spoon like it was not her first time. We are pretty sure that she must have been fed rice cereal at the orphanage and we were not told... So the cool thing for today is learning that she likes to eat rice cereal from a spoon.
Wednesday (2/10) Once again, we had a relaxing morning. Last night Ava slept from 7 p.m. - 6:30 a.m. - YEAH! In the afternoon we stopped at Kurt's work to meet some of his colleagues, a group of my friends who grew up in Vietnam, and a high school friend of Kurt's that loaned us her bassinet. Then Ava fell asleep in her car seat and we were craving burgers, fries, and ice cream so we went to Friendly's. One good thing about our process for adopting Ava is that we learned how to eat out several meals a day with a new baby almost immediately. Our evening was delightful we all went to bed early by our old standards - even Xena the weimaraner.
Thursday (2/11) Ava slept from 8-6:00 last night. Kurt went to work today until 3 pm. So, mom and Ava had the day at home all by themselves. Ava was very good. I even figured out how to take a shower and get ready all while occupying her. But, I have to admit I was happy to have Dad home to help hold her and keep her busy when he got back. Today Ava is spending a lot of time sticking her tounge way out to touch her shirt and making kissing noises. These actions are much more pronounced than the ones she makes when she is hungry. After Kurt got home, we went to visit one of Kurt's friends and her family then to see Kurt's brother and his family. It was fun to see the kids interact with Ava - yes, we took of pictures Grandma Belva :) and will send them to you soon.
Friday (today) Ava slept from 8-8 last night. I went to work today until 3 pm. So, Daddy and Ava spent the day together. Based on the laughter I heard in the living room when I walked in the door it seems like they had a good time. Kurt was not able to get a shower in before I got home but he did manage to do a few loads of laundry :). He also did the big baby hand off when I got home so he could go outside and toss the ball to our energetic weim and shovel snow. Our friends Nate & Laurie from Buffalo were in Binghamton today so they stopped in for dinner and to meet Ava on their way home. Ava is still sleeping with the pink polka dot blanket that we used when we picked her up that the orphanage - we received that blanket from Nate & Laurie.
Well - it is getting late. Hopefully I will get more pictures downloaded over the weekend. I also hope to write down some of my hints/thoughts about our Vietnam experience that might inform people reading the blog that are considering adopting from Vietnam.
3 comments:
Hi,
Well I was just reading this for the second time. I do love to read about Ava! Just a thought pertaining to the rice cereal. When my girls were little, a friend of mine told me to be sure and give her a little bit of baby food applesauce with the rice cereal. It helps to keep her regular. I don't know whether this is a good comment for her blog but I was just thinking about that. They have little tiny jars and I use to use a tablespoon and as the girls started eating more cereal I increased the applesauce. Now I know things change over the years but this was a helpful suggestion to me from a good friend so I am passing it on.
By the way you both have become wonderful parents.
Love Neeca
Greetings, I haven't commented in awhile but have been reading along none the less. I read your one posting about the urine sample and the bag, I too had to do that 3 times with Bre! The doc's think it is easy and you just happen to know the babies schedule!! WRONG. I had to laugh though because I remember it like yesterday. Bre had 3 Urinary tract infections as a baby, she to was very sensive skin wise. I had diapers off from her quickly or she would have a terrible rash. The cereal is a good thing, I had holes punched in the nipples of all my bottles within months for cereal mixed with formula. It got them through the night by providing a little extra to stick to their ribs! You had an early post about the bottle that squirted out on her face while still in Vietnam, I suspect that was an enlarged hole for pumping cereal to her for just that reason. People will tell you all their opinions but in the end it is you that will know best, go on your instincts, usually they guide you correctly. My kids were both spitters with formula, though not recommended by the "at large experts" I started whole milk early, before a year I know that, and the spit up went away. The previous poster is correct about the fruit, cereal has iron which equals constipation. The apple sauce will offset that. Funny they take all the sweeteners and things out of the food so that it binds up on you then tell you to feed them carrow syrup or the like to fix it, the reverse. LOL Now that doctor Spock has imparted his divine knowledge on you from all his mistakes, I will let you go for now, Chow.
PS, This being the flu season if and when she get's the flu remember babies normal temp is around 100 or so but when the fevers start or congestion occurs formula will cause mucus and cause that to enhance. The docs will tell you Pedialite for fevers and runs. Taste it, it is horrible she may not take it, watered down gatorade is great for these situation's fluid is critical. I will
tell you some time how I found the gatorade thing out, not one of my prouder moments. Motrin is your friend.... Always feel free to give a holler, I have got to come up some time soon and see your little prize..
Post a Comment