The reason I was "saying that Ava became a US citizen one year ago today", to several people who were meeting her for the first time, is because I spent today with my brother-in-law's family. Today Ava helped make grammy and grampy smile, she played chase and catch with Aunt Val from IL, peek-a-boo with Aunt Mary and cousins Lisa and Bill from TX, and was held by many special people from my home town who were at my family's house to pay their condolences. Several people had not met Ava yet and we were together because Steve (my 37 year old brother-in-law) unexpectedly joined my brother Danny (who passed away at 27 two years ago) in heaven. Stevie and Danny are two Uncles who Ava will have to know through stories and pictures - thank goodness we have lots of them to share with her. I spent a lot of time at Steve's parent's house growing up - we have been like brother and sister since he was 10 years old. Stevie was an amazing musician and chef. He had a heart of gold, a smile that made any room light up, a hug that made people know they were special, long wavy hair that made women jealous, and the uncanny ability to turn a bad moment into something that people would end up laughing about over the amazing dinner he just made and the perfect brew he selected to serve with it. Today I am sad and exhausted (almost as bad as last year) but just like last year - Ava's smile and the joy that she brings to my life helps me to push through and know that in time all will be good in our world. When you read this some day Ava - please ask me about your Uncles - I can't wait to share some stories. My you rest in peace Stevie!
1 comment:
Dear Meg and Kurt, I am deeply saddened to hear of the loss of Stevie. And I know the loss of Danny is still very fresh. Thinking of you both -- also on the momentous occasion of one year since citizenship for Ava Linh.
Post a Comment